New Tool Cabinet – part 1

Share with your friends on...

For a while I have had these really dreadful wall hangers from www.Harald-nyborg.dk … well to be fair the quality matches the price. The pins you insert into the pegboard really do not stick well and could use some fine tuning out of the factory.

Messy tool setup

Messy tool setup

Besides the system being a bit poor, I never liked the way I ended up messing up the area. Stuff is all over and too much of everything. My plan is to build a wooden cabinet, which will replace the boards and allows for mounting panels that open, with space on the inside so it becomes a fold-out tool cabinet.

I have decided to keep the cost of the new cabinet low and have decided to use construction grade lumber. At the lumber yard I spent some time sifting through the pile of lumber until I found a single board of 32X125mm at 4500mm length. I cut it up into pieces at the hardware store, to avoid having to transport it.

 

Rough cut for tool cabinet

Rough cut for tool cabinet

The planks have few defects and they will be insignificant when creating the cabinet.

The rough cuts were planed down to approximately 25mm and cut into sizes of 1120mm and 90mm.

That size is about what the current system covers today and will be able to fit in the space. I have a drill on the left hand side and some shelving on the right hand side.

Early on I also decided I didn’t want to use money on plywood although it’s the easiest when having to sheet the back of the cabinet. Instead I chose to go for some 22x95mm planks usually used for interior studs for plaster or similar surfaces.

I managed to plane them down to not show defects on the inside of the carcass.

Assembling the cabinet I wanted to do a joint I have tried like three times before! I wanted to go with dovetails. However I didn’t have a proper saw for the job and decided to buy a kind-of tenon saw – in Denmark you really have to find the specialty stores to find something beyond ordinary carpenter tools 🙁 . please see this post for a review of it Tenon Saw review.

Anyway … below a picture of the outcome!

 

The first joint I made came out sloppy 🙁 Basically I didn’t bother enough with the layout and ended up with a loose fit. It took ages to fiddle into place and in the end it was not good. However it will hold and I can draw the joint tighter with the backing of the cabinet.

The next joints went much better because I took the time to mark them up nicely and cut them clean. Mind you I’ve never really made this kind of joint before, but the 6th to 8th really took my skills to the next level and turned out some really cool fits. They were gently bonked into place with a few blows of my flat palm – which really is a gratifying experience.

After finishing the frame I jointed and planed the boards for the backing. This took a while on the planer, as it’s really not that good and the wood was a bit damp. I am not too concerned of it cracking when it dries up, if all fails I will stick a 3mm plywood in the cabinet and hide away the back planks.

Below is a picture of the planking coming into place. They are screws on from the backside and glued across the width. This takes a bit longer and I guess a biscuit joiner or something similar would be faster, but for now this is ok. The cabinet will hang flat on the wall, so the chance of breaking the boards from each other after assembly is extremely small in my oppinion – but I am sure I will learn a lesson or two!

Planking in the corner

Planking in the corner

Until next episode!

/Søren

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *