Glue ready

Some more pictures of the boat … can’t wait till the temperature rises enough to start the next round of gluing.

I am quite satisfied with the snugness of the work and now I just have to figure out what I want as seat tops.

 

 

photo 1

 

 

Related Reading:

What happened?!

So my life zoomed by in a haste while working on major changes at work, having a new baby.

However I finally found some time for my sparetime project – the TubbyTug!

So the temperatures are below 0 degree Celcius and I do not keep my shop heated. So i could only cut and dryfit the inner reinforcements for the seats. However this went quite ok – although I had to realize that I hadn’t been quite as precise with the glue up of the bulkheads/seat supports, as I should have been.

However In the end I am quite satisified. My woodworking skills are going up – the boat will be ok and I get my head into other things than heavy duty software development.

Preparing glue up of reinforcements for the seats.

Preparing glue up of reinforcements for the seats.

Related Reading:

#5 All sorts of small things getting sorted

So, I’ve been putting of a lot of tasks and finally it was time to do something about it. I spent about 3 hours doing the remaining tasks, including an epoxy test. The test went well and now I know how to glue the ship from one end to the other. Below are some of the pictures from dry fitting all the parts that will be glued soon.

Related Reading:

#4 – Dry fitting the transom and stern supports.

This time around I spent another 2 hours bringing me to a total of 12.

During this session i cut the transom knees (twice) – and ended up with a pair of knees in 12 mm instead of the 9mm on the drawings.

After cutting the knees the battens were cut to size and everything dry fitted.I am happy with the alignment of it all :-)

Related Reading:

2nd battle with the plywood

Although the plates were warped some from transport, I managed to cut out most of the parts.

Now i have almost everything I need to progress through the first gluing stages :-)

 

 

I definitely feel I won this one!

Saturday 2 hours spent, Sunday 4.

Related Reading:

First “dust” drawn in my boat building passion!

This post is about my first experiences with building the Tubbytug.

When the plans are bought from Glen L you get a lot of stuff in the packages. I hung the four detailed drawings, where different aspects of the construction can be see over my workbench.

After a bunch of considerations I decided to make a template for the bottom piece first. The template is cut in masonite, which came with my beautiful WPB glued birch plywood for this project. I am going to fully glass the boat – so I don’t think choosing this type of wood is a problem. If it’s a problem, the price wasn’t too bad and I can always build another boat.

So for day 1:

2 hours spent creating the bottom of the boat, from a birch PW sheet.

 

Related Reading: